Improving waste management in increasing ecotourism and save sea turtles feeding ground
Organisation : Maratua Peduli Lingkungan
Name of the project : Improving waste management in increasing ecotourism and save sea turtles feeding ground
Country : Maratua Island– Indonesia
Theme of the project : MARINE ECOSYSTEMES PRESERVATION
Description of the project :
Maratua is the outermost island in East Kalimantan, a new marine tourism destination, with beautiful beaches, seas and mangroves. Maratua Island also a place for sea turtle where they eat sea grass in feeding ground area. There are two species of turtle that lives around Maratua. They are Green Sea Turtle and Hawksbill Turtle. There are also various types of fish, jellyfish and very interesting coral reefs that live in Maratua. By improving lodging facilities as well as resort, house and tourists activities, the waste will become a problem. Our project is to create a good waste management and educating local people, so it could positifly impact human health, sea turtle habitat, the environment and the tourism sectors. Therefore, it is necessary to anticipate the waste problem and find a solution for it. These are the activities to reduce waste in Maratua Island :
– We do underwater waste cleaning and beach clean up.
– Composting the organic wastes.
– Programs to raise awareness in all sectors of the community about the wider economic and health implications of poor waste management.
– Educate local people how to encourage the 3Rs principle of waste management (reduce, reuse, recycle) so that the total amount of waste requiring disposal is reduced at the source (e.g. by smarter buying habits and zero waste lifestyle)
– Provide education to the young generation to increase awareness of the environment